Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I am a hard drive crash test dummy


Well, not a crash, but certainly a fender bender this time. This morning, after returning from vacation, the ol' 17 inch office laptop got slower, and s l ow e r, and s l o w ... e ... r until all I had was the infamous pinwheel of death. (I will pause to allow Mac fans to rejoice. Both of you, take your liberty.)


Because I am a one trick tech pony, I restarted it. That trick failed. I did it again, as if the machine didn't realize what had happened. No dice, no whir, no data. Selah.


OK, so I've got one more trick. Reinstall the OS. I managed to get that done and find all my data again, but Brandon der Wondertech had to reset all my email settings. It seems four email accounts syncing across three devices takes a little more than my skill.

No comments: